Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The secret life of tea



I saw a program on Discovery that was all about tea the other day (A Lyon in the kitchen) Did anyone else happen to see it? It was so interesting. He was cooking with tea by infusing the flavors into the rice. It sounded delicious. Before I go on any farther, let me answer last week's trivia question. The answer was, a tea "ceremony." Thanks for participating with our "Teasday trivia!" I'll reveal the winner at the end.


Anyway, Robin also gave me some material about the history of tea and there is so much information there for me to learn. For example, did you know that all tea comes from one plant? Shocking if you didn't already know that. The process is what makes the different flavors of tea. On average, a tea plant will live and produce for 100 years. Only half of it's leaves will be used and harvested in it's lifetime. The crop taken from the tea bushes consists of young leaf shoots and the unpoened leaf bud. These are rich in caffeine and the organic compounds that are responsible for the smell and taste of the tea. Oils are also used to make flavored teas such as Blueberry Delight and French Creme Brulee. Here is next week's trivia question:


What is the name of the plant that tea comes from?

If you haven't visited the etsy shop before, click on the words "Ivy leaf tea" under the photos on the left. It will take you directly to our etsy shop online. You can become a member of our tea of the month club and have delicious teas to sample sent to your door, or shop for your favorite flavor. We will be regularly adding to the shop with tea cozies, books, my tea jewelry and more.
And now for last week's winner....It was Karen! Thank you. Please send me your address and I'll send out your tea to you. The winner was chosen by random number since we had no correct answers.


Thank you so much for stopping by today. We love having you visit.
Happy Teasday,
Lori

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great!!! I sent you my address and I believe the name of the plant is Camellia Sinensis-the evergreen tea bush.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Karen!!!
Now for this week... Camellia sinensis...
They live for 100 years? That's amazing!