Thursday, May 22, 2008

A little tea history~



~A brick of tea~





**************************************************



Here's something interesting that I just recently learned from Elaine. She purchased a "brick of tea". As recently as 200 years ago, tea was accepted as currency. It was made into "bricks" with a logo on top (hers is a train). I knew that it was valuable and used this way, but I didn't know it was made into bricks like this. Every time I learn something new about tea, I'm always fascinated. It's history is so vast, you could never learn all there is to know.
Also, I wanted to mention again the new flavor at the Ivy Leaf called, "Morning Sunshine." I had some today and it is absolutely heaven! I can't even describe it to you. You need to try it for yourself. It has hints of citrus, but it also has a unique flavor all it's own.
I wanted to share with you a delicious recipe I found in Tea Time magazine. I have a little herb and vegetable garden where I have baby carrots. They are so tender and delicious that I thought this would be the perfect way to use some of them. It's called,
"Cumin cream cheese crudites."


You need 12 baby carrots
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1. In a large saucepan, cover carrots with water and bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Drain and place carrots on a baking sheet to dry and cool. Slice cooled carrots in half lengthwise.
2. In a medium bowl, and using an electric mixer at medium speed, blend the cream cheese, cumin, chives, lemon juice, and salt.
3.Place the cream cheese mixture in a pastry bag, and pipe down the centers of the sliced carrots. Sprinkle each carrot with toasted pine nuts, and serve.

If you're using garden fresh carrots, leave on some of the green stem for a beautiful presentation.

Wishing you joy,

Lori

7 comments:

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Hi Lori! Love your new tea blog. I wish I was in Florida so I could visit this beautiful place. And the carrot recipe sounds delicious! My 4 yr old is going to a garden tea party today and I am going to take some pics and blog about it next week. My girlfriend bought the cutest child size teacups for each of the girls to use and take home as a party favor. Have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

Yummy! If I EVER make it to the post office to mail your little gift I have a couple recipes I will send you as well. Love your new tea blog. I've really never indulged in tea drinking but I could probably get hooked if I started! That raspberry truffle spiked an interest! I don't drink coffee but should drink tea to enjoy "moments" with my husband. He says I'm missing out on not having something "like" coffee to enjoy. Ha! Have a great weekend!
Sarah
Vintage Lily

Anonymous said...

What amazing blogs! Peaceful, feminine... and not much is better than soft music and a cup of hot tea!

Anonymous said...

Lori, I've come to your blog and now this tea journal because of a comment you left somewhere else. I LOVE Tea. I'm curious as to the where abouts of the Ivy Leaf Tea Parlor.
By the way, my 3 year old son is totally enthrolled with the brick of tea with the train!

Jennifer said...

oh my goodness! what a super fun idea! i love the idea of this blog and i love tea. especially chai. i am a chai fanatic! yikes, i have to watch myself. anyways, love the blog!

jenny

Lori said...

This is very neat. I wish we had a tea room/parlor in my area. Very interesting facts about tea. I have never seen a block of tea before.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! :)